Cigarette butt blamed for bushfire emergency

By Michael Sinclair-Jones

A CIGARETTE butt tossed from a passing vehicle is thought to have sparked a huge bushfire that threatened last month to destroy dozens of homes near an area devastated by Toodyay’s 2009 bushfire.

Local residents were warned to flee or get ready to fight an approaching inferno after the fire – “most likely” started by cigarette butt on Toodyay Road near Strahan Road (above) – started racing across dry farm paddocks and dense bushland towards Toodyay’s Wandoo Circle rural residential subdivision.

State fire authorities issued an emergency warning to all local residents at 5.17 pm on January 8.

“You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive – there is a threat to lives and homes in the Wandoo Circle subdivision,” the warning said.

“If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place – do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.”

Read more