The way we were
The way we were – Bejoording school teacher, Jane Mackintosh, wears an elegant long-skirted riding outfit with a trim, tailored long-sleeved jacket and close-fitting riding hat on upswept hair. She stands with a riding crop next to her side-saddled horse. Jane’s father, Ewen Mackintosh, arrived in the fledgling Swan River Colony from Scotland in 1841 and was indentured as a shepherd to James Drummond Jnr of Hawthornden (five kilometres north of Toodyay on the Bindi Bindi Road) but soon owned a flock of his own and joined with his cousins, the Macphersons, to form a company known as Scotch Shepherds. Ewen Mackintosh married James Drummond’s daughter Euphemia in 1849 and they lived in a cottage at Coondle. In 1854 Ewen Mackintosh bought land in Bejoording from T. N. Yule and named it Glendearg (Erandyne Springs). His daughter Jane Mackintosh (above) conducted a small government school at the heritage-listed property between 1879 and 1884. Photo: Newcastle Gaol Museum.